Genesee Community College Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities (CURCA) committee invites all GCC students, faculty and staff to submit proposals to present their work at the Scholars’ Symposium. Abstracts describing students’ scholarly and/or creative projects must be submitted by MARCH 4, 2019
Students are encouraged to submit proposals to present their original:
- Research (15 minute oral presentation includes Q&A; 30 minute oral presentation includes Q&A)
- Poster (2-3 minute summary of work to be told to interested parties during 1 hour session)
- Creative writing (15 minute reading/interpretive presentation includes Q&A)
- Work in Progress Reading of Creative Work (WIP) (5 minute reading of current work)
- Studio/Visual art (15 minute interpretive presentation with slides includes Q&A; or one hour poster presentation)
- Music composition (up to 20 minute performance/interpretative/archival commentary includes Q&A)
- Dance choreography (up to 20 minute performance/interpretative commentary includes Q&A)
- Film Production/Theatrical script (up to 20 minute performance/interpretative/archival commentary includes Q&A)
- Fast Pitch, Debates, Presentation of Experiential Education Experiences, Internships, Field Work, Travel (15 or 30 minute descriptive oral presentation includes Q&A; or a poster/portfolio presentation)
- PechaKucha: This is a 20×20 format where the presenter shows 20 images, each for 20 seconds, the images advance automatically as the presenter talks along to the images. It is a good platform in which to share new ideas.
We are also open to new opportunities, so pitch us your ideas for inclusion!
All students must have a faculty or staff mentor (sponsors are not required to co-present). The Scholars’ Symposium is open to faculty and staff submissions that will benefit the students in our academic community, as well.
- Tips on Abstracts: http://guides.genesee.edu/c.php?g=257271&p=1718409
- 2016 Program (Abstracts Included) http://www.genesee.edu/home/linkservid/693BA93E-E109-0135-23E6A818E21F3FE6/showMeta/0/
- Where to Start Guide for Students: http://guides.genesee.edu/scholars_symposium/where_to_start
- Faculty Info: http://guides.genesee.edu/c.php?g=257271&p=2502836
Cross-disciplinary and encompassing all programs and divisions, GCC’s Scholars’ Symposium showcases achievement through presentations, poster sessions, performances, demonstrations, field studies, portfolios, service learning, evidence of experiential activities with students, faculty, and staff producing and chairing sessions throughout the day. Scholars’ Symposium is a wonderful opportunity for all in our community to learn about a wide array of topics from all academic disciplines in an engaging environment giving students practice in disciplinary techniques of public presentation, presenting scholarly and creative work, observing fellow scholars and artists across the disciplines, engaging with members of the college community in educationally meaningful events, and supporting a college culture of intellectual initiative and academic excellence.
If you have questions, please contact JoNelle Toriseva firstname.lastname@example.org 585-343-0055 ext. 6627; Karen Huffman, email@example.com 585-343-0055ext 6148; or Garth Swanson, GPSwanson@genesee.edu. 585-343-0055 ext 6291 for more information.